Friday, January 25, 2013

Les Miserables



Typically, a movie based on a musical set during the French revolution wouldn't be something that I would be excited to watch in theaters. But when I went to the movies to watch it with a few friends, I didn't know what it was about, and I figured that since Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, and Amanda Seyfried were in it that it would be worth watching. And, in fact, it was.

It all started when Jean Valjean (Jackman) stole a loaf of bread. He got 19 years in a French prison, and after he was released, he broke his parole. In order to avoid being arrested by Inspector Javert (Russell Crowe), he decides to create an alias for himself and skip town, and vows that he will become a better person and help whoever is in need. He soon meets Fantine, a poor woman struggling to care for herself and her young daughter, Cosette. The world around him is falling apart, as the town is facing a revolution due to a widespread poverty and starvation, and this story tells his struggle to keep his morals intact and keep himself and his newfound friends alive.

Overall, the movie had a great story to tell, even if it's slightly depressing. It moved too slowly though, and was way longer than it needed to be. But the performances of Jackman, Hathaway, and Seyfried were incredible, and they prove that they are truly versatile actors. Who knew that the Wolverine, Mia from the Princess Diaries, and Karen from Mean Girls knew how to hold a tune? The rest of the supporting actors did incredibly as well, including Russell Crowe and, surprisingly, Sasha Baron Cohen.

Les Miserables: 2h 37 min, Rated PG-13


1 comment:

  1. I read this book before and it is one of my favorite book. It makes people thinking and it is really moved. I definitely want to watch this movie but I did not find time. I heard other people said it is like an opera. Hopefully I will watch it in the future.

    ReplyDelete